Built between 1894 and 1897, the Graystone was originally named the Berkeley Hotel. It was designed by Ernest L Ransome
and Carlton R. Strong and represented an early use in Buffalo of reinforced concrete construction and concrete architectural
features. At the time it was built, it was an integral part of the Johnson Park neighborhood because the Elmwood Avenue
extension had not yet been made.
The 150-room Berkeley Hotel served as the Berkeley Apartments and then as the Graystone Hotel, the name it retains in 2006.
The Hotel was converted to moderately-priced apartments and then to a 61-unit rooming house. It has been vacant for more
than a decade. Plans to renovate the building into 30 luxury apartments in 2002 did not come to fruition.
In 2006, Buffalo Developer Rocco Termini purchased the building for $290,000 and plans to spend $9.5 million dollars
to convert the structure into 36 loft units. He has renamed the Graystone, "H@ Lofts."
Back to WNY Heritage Press Home Page